Friday, October 24, 2008

MA'AM, YOU CAN'T SWIM THERE

As I was walking to the delicious (NOT) Coba Cafe which is just over yonder on the other side of the swimming pool, the slippery part of my flip flop met up with a slight puddle, about 8 inches from the edge of the pool. My left foot went out from under me and, with all the grace and finesse I could muster, into the swimming pool I went, crackberry, drivers license, hotel room key and all. And not in my swim suit.

Last thing I heard before the fateful plunge: "....for a home health care company." "oh, I work at Budweiser..."

Oh, OH, OOOHHHH! SPLAAAAAAAAAASH!

Thoughts as I'm going into the pool: "MMMYYYYYYYYY PHOOOOOOOOOOONE!!!!!!!!!"

The first time I come up out of the water, I frantically look to see how deep this blasted pool is. 3 1/2 feet. Piece of cake. Back down I go. Holy crap. 3 1/2 feet is further down than I can bend. I don't have enough air for this! BUT I'VE GOT TO GET THAT PHONE!!!!!!!!

"CRACKBERRY, I'M COMING! I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT YOU!"

Back down. But wait. I still haven't breathed. BREATHE, BERLY! Wait, DON'T BREATHE IN THE WATER! Back up to choke/take a breath. Still no phone in hand.

I hear "YOU CATCH YOUR BREATH! I'LL GET YOUR PHONE!" from Budweiser Guy.

It's alright. I use my toes to drag the blasted phone up the side of the swimming pool wall. Yeah, the cement one. But I have the phone, and rip out the battery immediately.

Lady laying next to Budweiser Guy starts yelling "just soak it in rubbing alcohol! it will dry out the water!" I'm down a few brain cells from this experience and ask her "won't that ruin it!?"

Meanwhile, it turns out that I fell into the area that is reserved for those hurling out of the waterslides. 16'ish year old "life guard" comes over to me and says "ma'am, you can't swim in that area."

I'd say she earned her minimum wage for the day.

4 comments:

Ali said...

So did the phone completely survive? Or did it need some major resuscitation?

Janice said...

Arlright, I'm reeeeallllly sorry about your swim. BUT THAT IS FUUUUUNNNNNYYYY! Only wish I could have seen it. :)

DivaMom said...

Ahhh maybe that's why you didn't reply to my text Saturday. LOL We drove through Vegas and waved to you. Just so you know. I'm glad you are OK and not hurt.

We had the nice man at Disneyland tell us we couldn't have our rolling backpack on the wheels through the park. We were getting it inspected and going to put it in the stroller. No plans for rolling it and he made us fold it up and put it on the shoulders through the gate 2 feet from the stroller. Gotta love them!

Paula said...

That's the kind of thing you hope never happens to you. But is some how hilarious when it happens to someone else. Sorry! Hope your phone is recovering.