Monday, October 13, 2008

BIRTH DAYS

To continue the tradition my mom started of sharing the story of our births with us on our birthdays, I'll include those stories here for my kids. Each of their birthdays was so special and will always be 3 of my favorite days ever!

Stone Jeffrey Averett was born on 12/22/99 despite me trying to convince him otherwise as I still had Christmas shopping to do! Most of my labor was spent at Fashion Place Mall where we seemed to run into everyone we knew (including my mom!) who all tried to convince us that we were having a baby that day. It's hard to argue with that when I had to stop every 3 minutes so I could breathe through contractions, but whatever. Jeff took me home for a couple of hours so he could go out for some more shopping and while he was gone, my water broke. It was official. I was having a baby that day, although Jeff continued to question it all the way to the hospital ("are you sure that's what it is?"). Stone was trying to be born bum-first so after all that work, he was born by c-section at 10:49 that night. My family brought the Christmas Eve celebration to us and Shar and Uel brought us a little Christmas tree for our room since we spent the holiday in the hospital. We brought our best Christmas gift ever home in a giant Christmas stocking the little old ladies had made.

Chloe Geneil Averett was born on 10/15/02. What a beautiful baby girl! She had (and still does) the prettiest little facial features and the prettiest hands (piano player hands, I hope!). Labor began around 2 in the morning when I woke up because my water broke. Stone was a very concerned toddler because he kept hearing us refer to the broken water and finally asked Daddy if my water was going to be okay. The labor with sweet Chloe was (almost) a hypno-birthing mom's dream. Pitocin and back labor made it a little more intense than I had planned, but the techniques I had learned (up 90 steps and back down) and the jacuzzi made it all go pretty smoothly. So smooth in fact that I took a 45 minute nap at the beginning of the transition stage. When you do that, the nurses get so blown away and curious that they "take turns" coming in to check on you so they can see an actual natural childbirth! I pushed for 50 minutes to get that little girl out and when I finally had, I was so proud of myself and of my new beautiful little girl. Chloe's voice box didn't work and she didn't make any sound when she cried, a blessing and a curse (sleepless nights for mommy, listening for her "silent cry"). Don't worry though, she's making up for lost time now with her voice that is definitely NOT broken anymore!

Regan Dean Averett is our little crazy man. He was born on 8/3/05. Pregnancy was very uncomfortable with this little guy and I was very anxious for him to GET OUT! On his birthday, I had gone to my regular prenatal appointment where I was told everything looked great and the midwife would see me again next week. About an hour and a half later, the contractions started and I knew that baby was finally coming out! I was wrapping things up at work and held a meeting with my employees to go over some last minute items while they timed my contractions and began panicking that the baby would be born at the corporate offices of Kiddie Kandids! They finally kicked me out and I went home to round up the familia and head to the hospital where unfortunately, I was told to go home because my contractions weren't strong enough. Having been through this a time or two before, I knew that baby was coming out and didn't want to drive home just to turn around. So Cousin Amy took Stone and Chloe to Grandma Jolie's where they got their "waiting at the hospital for our new baby to be born" backpacks ready. Jeff and I enjoyed a most delicious dinner at Olive Garden while the contractions grew stronger and stronger (waitress to Jeff: "is she going to be okay?") . Then back to the hospital where again, the cute, useless nurse told me I probably wasn't going to have that baby today. I asked if she wouldn't mind humoring me and letting me "rest" for awhile. About an hour later, my water broke. Ha! There was going to be a baby born. How 'bout that. Less than 2 hours after my water broke, I was pushing that baby out with all my might. Jeff called for the nurse who panicked when she saw I had almost delivered the baby. "Stop pushing!" she tells me. Yeah right, lady. She ran to the door and hollared for a doctor and by the time the doctor came in, my little baby was born. We didn't know if this baby was a boy or girl until that moment and I will never forget how awesome it was to hear the words "here's your little boy!" and see that sweet little man. (Don't worry, the nurse found me later and apologized for not taking me serious. The story was retold by the nurses and we heard "so you're the one that had a baby all by yourself without an epidural" during our hospital stay.) I did it for you, Regan!

We are so lucky to have these kids and I thank Heavenly Father for them every day. Each of them brings such a unique spirit to our home and I can't imagine life without them. I wouldn't trade anything for the chaos that is "The Averett Children." Not even a lifetime of quiet!

1 comment:

Amy Dobson said...

Those were awesome stories...I might have to steal your birth story idea for a post on my blog. I have one little correction for you about Regans birth...Grandma Jolie didn't take Stone and Chloe to her house...I took Stone and Chloe to Grandma Jolies house and she was going to bring them back up to the hospital later. I know it't the same result...the kids got to Grandma's...but hey I want to be part of Regans birth story. :) Love Ya